Photo: Ben Birk
The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning starting tonight and continuing until Monday Evening. Travel within the Sierra is highly discouraged after 4 pm today. If you do decide to drive to our resorts, please consider your safety and the safety of others. Consider also the strong possibility that highway I-80 could close in both directions at any time.
Another BIG set of storms is headed our way! The latest forecast is calling for 2 storms headed to Tahoe that could bring multiple feet of snow. This series of storms (Friday-Monday) will coincide with weekend travel, so please note that there may be chain controls, slow moving traffic or road closures as the snow flies. We strongly encourage you to check weather, road status, snow reports and lift status as we move into a dynamic weather pattern over the weekend. Here are some helpful links:
- NOAA Weather forecast for Olympic Valley
- NOAA Weather Discussion for the Tahoe Area
- Caltrans Highway Status
- Caltrans Quick Mapp app
- Truckee CHP Facebook page (real-time road notifications)
- Squaw Alpine Snow & Weather Report
- Lift & Grooming Status
- Truckee Park and Ride service will be running this Saturday and Sunday for free shuttle service from Truckee to Squaw Valley
- Mountaineer is a free on-demand, app-based transit service that you can take within Squaw Valley or Alpine Meadows
- TART bus offers rides to and from Truckee, Tahoe City, and King's Beach
If you are driving during a snowstorm, it's always a good idea to pack extra blankets, gloves, hats, food, water and any needed medication in your vehicle. We do not recommend travel in this type of weather without a 4WD or AWD vehicle. Please travel safely!