Monday brought 5 inches of new snow to Breck, which comes in perfect time to celebrate our Norse god of the snow, Ullr.
The week of Jan. 11-17, the Town of Breckenridge comes alive with week long festivities in honor of Ullr as a way to recognize and please him, and hope he smiles down upon the town and blesses us with another fantastic winter season.
Beginning in 1963, Ullr Fest is one of Breck’s favorite winter traditions with activities for the whole family. The festivities kicked off last night at the Steven C. West Ice Arena on the south end of town with the Family ice-skating party, but don’t worry if you missed the inaugural event, as there are many more ways to show your appreciation for Ullr:
- Monday, Jan.12: Crowning of the Ullr King and Queen – Come celebrate those who make Breckenridge truly a special place with this great happy hour event. All attendants will receive their first beer free and appetizers will be served in abundance. Come by the Breckenridge Nordic Center from 5:00pm to 7:00pm to get yours.
- Tuesday, Jan. 13: Ullympics – Watch as contestants put their winter wear to the test with a series of one of a kind competitions including the frying pan toss and group ski races, as well as many more. This is an outdoor event at Carter Park and Pavilion so feel free to leave the snow pants on as this nighttime event runs from 7:00pm to 9:00pm.
- Wednesday, Jan. 14: Breck’s Got Talent – Wednesday night, stop into the Breckenridge Riverwalk Center to witness some of the amazing and often unusual talents of Breck’s locals with this town-wide talent show hosted by local radio station, Always Mountain Time. Doors open at 6:00pm. To register, emhttp://blog.breckenridge.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/ullr2-300x225.jpg" alt="" width="300" height="225" />ail email@example.com
- Thursday, Jan.15: Ullr Fest Shot Ski, Main Street Parade, and Bonfire – Thursday evening holds the week’s premier event. Beginning at 4:00pm, the town gathers on Main Street to make an attempt to break the record for the world’s longest shot ski. Last year had a total of 666 souls taking a shot of whiskey from the local Breckenridge Distillery. Following the shot will be a Main Street parade, and then bonfire party.
- Friday, Jan.16: Comedy Night – Prepare to be rolling on the floor after a night of inescapable laughter. Tickets are available in advance for $25 at the Breckenridge Welcome Center and the show starts at 8:00pm. This is one comedy show you are not going to want to miss.
- Saturday, Jan.17: Wild and Scenic Film Festival – Brought to you by the High Country Conservation Center and Continental Divide Land Trust, the week of fun-filled activities wraps up with a handful of films focused on the nature of what makes our little town in the Rockies so amazing. The show starts at 7:00pm, with happy hour at 6:00pm. Tickets can be purchased at HighCountryConservation.org.
Come out and enjoy the festivities as we work to make this winter season one to go down in the record books.
The post Ullr Fest at Breck appeared first on Blog.Breckenridge.com.