Black Diamond Equipment®, a global leader of innovative active outdoor performance equipment and apparel, today introduced its Spring 2018 climbing collection, including the debut of the brand’s first line of climbing shoes. The collection also includes stretchable, breathable rain apparel and new trekking poles in its Distance Z-Pole Series, with improved rapid deployment technology.
For its debut in the climbing shoe category, Black Diamond introduced Engineered Knit Technology, which provides stretch where necessary, support where it matters most and exceptional breathability for unparalleled comfort. Knit Technology is featured throughout the complete line of climbing shoes, beginning with Momentum, a shoe that utilizes the technology for a breathable upper refined for gym climbing.
“When we put our heads together on the design of these shoes, we wanted to blend the tradition of old world European hand craftsmanship for making climbing shoes with the technology of Asia’s modern manufacturing processes and material know-how,” said Kasey Jarvis, Black Diamond Equipment’s vice-president of design.
Black Diamond’s NeoFriction rubber – inspired by its forging processes from carabiner manufacturing – is molded, rather than being cut from one sheet of rubber consisting of the same thickness. Shoes will feature rubber and rands built for durability and optimized for consistency, enhancing overall performance and grip, varying by style. Each mold has been individually created to fit together – unlike the trace, trim and hand-grind method of other manufacturers.
Black Diamond’s entry into the climbing shoe market will consist of nine models with neutral, moderate, slightly downturned and aggressively down-turned lasts. Of the nine models, three are women’s specific with one children’s model.
These models include:
· Aspect: all-around, neutral lasted, traditional climbing shoe with additional padding and lace protection for crack climbing.
· Momentum Lace – Men’s and Women’s: Engineered Knit Technology with innovative NeoFriction molded rubber with a focus on adjustability, comfort, and breathability for climbing at the gym or crag.
· Momentum – Men’s, Women’s and Kids: Engineered Knit Technology with innovative NeoFriction molded rubber, Velcro closure with a focus on comfort and breathability for climbing at the gym or crag.
· Focus – Men’s and Women’s: High performance, stiff Velcro shoe with a moderate downturned last, NeoFriction Force rubber, durable leather, and Engineered Knit Technology designed for technical routes or boulder problems that demand precision.
· Shadow: High performance, aggressive last, Velcro shoe without a midsole for ultra-sensitivity on steep, overhanging climbing.
“For our Spring 2018 product launch, we wanted to start with a concise collection of shoes with a range to cover all the bases,” said Jarvis. “From entry-level comfort, to super technical design made specifically for steep overhangs, to highly breathable shoes designed for indoor climbing, we plan to have you covered with our extensive range of shoes.”
New products from Black Diamond’s mountain category for Spring 2018 include nine new trekking poles from its Z-Pole Distance and Alpine series. Of note, the locking mechanism will be upgraded on all of Black Diamond’s Aluminum Z-Pole & FLZ styles, along with new SlideLock technology that enables fast and easy deployment of the pole – conical grips and new clamping rings slip harmoniously together to improve joint support and overall stiffness. Highlights from the new trekking pole line include the new Distance Plus FLZ, which combines the Z-Pole and SlideLock Technology with FlickLock® adjustability.
From the apparel category for Spring ‘18, Black Diamond will launch its first technical rainwear collection. Built to withstand the worst downpours, the fully featured rain shells will combine Black Diamond’s BD.dry™ waterproof and breathable solution with a highly stretchable fabric. The collection will be anchored with the StormLine and FineLine Stretch Rain Shells.
“Our Spring 2018 collection reaffirms our commitment to innovation in climbing and related mountain sports,” said Doug Heinrich, Black Diamond Equipment’s vice-president of product. “Our intimacy with these sports is reflected in the clean, functional design of the products that we create, and this upcoming line articulates that familiarity and knowledge better than any season to date.”
Other new product highlights for Spring ‘18 include:
· Expansion of the rope collection from four to eleven models. The product range spans from 7mm twin ropes up to 10.2mm single ropes, supplemented by three static ropes. Of the eleven models, some of which are dry treated, all styles of climbing are served, including gym to big wall climbing. For S’18, the new 9.4 DRY balances handling, weight and durability to make an ideal rope for both rock and ice missions.
· ATC Pilot belay device with braking assistance, introduces a system that provides an added level of security to your belay. Ideal for crag or gym.
· Built to trim every possible gram for ultralight performance on technical alpine routes, Black Diamond’s Vision Harness is its lightest fully functional harness.
Addressing the interests of a growing, climbing youth market, Spring ’18 children specific product highlights include:
· WIZ headlamp for kids will shine in full-color LED spectrum in addition to having several children-specific features.
· The Momentum Kids’ harness featuring the same features and characteristics as its older brother, the Momentum: pre-threaded Speed Adjust waist belt buckle, ergonomic waist belt, easily adjustable leg loop, four gear loops and a haul loop.
Black Diamond Equipment’s Spring ‘18 collection will be on display next week, July 26-29, 2017, at booth #6005 at Outdoor Retailer Summer Market in Salt Lake City.
About Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd.
Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd. is a global leader in creating innovative outdoor engineered equipment and apparel for climbing, mountaineering, backpacking, skiing and a wide range of other year-round outdoor activities. Black Diamond Equipment, and its sister brand PIEPS™, are synonymous with performance, innovation, durability and safety in the outdoor consumer community. Headquartered in Salt Lake City at the base of the Wasatch Mountains, our products are designed and exhaustively tested by an engaged team of discerning entrepreneurs and engineers. The Black Diamond Equipment culture of precision and excellence enhance the authenticity of our brands, inspire product innovation and strengthen customer loyalty. Black Diamond Equipment’s products are sold in approximately 50 countries around the world. For additional information, please visit our website at www.blackdiamondequipment.com or www.pieps.com.
The post Black Diamond Equipment Introduces First Climbing Shoes for Spring 2018 appeared first on Outdoor Industry Association.